Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Our new family motto

Anyone can walk into our house and find the tv on ESPN at any given time. We are just a sports family. Soccer and baseball are the favorites, but we watch anything competitive related to sports. We also enjoy the inspiring stories that occur each day in the world of sports. People, young and old, are always overcoming something in the sports world. Each story can tug at your heart strings and make you grateful for where you are at in life.

On Father's Day, Sportscenter had a segment that covered Jim Kelly's battle with cancer. Cody was especially locked in because he is a huge Buffalo Bills fan. He grew up watching Jim Kelly. He was one of his heroes.(I can still see a tear in his eye when you bring up any loss to the Cowboys in the Super Bowl.)

Well, in this broadcast, Jim Kelly's oldest daughter was being interviewed about her Father's fight and determination to beat this terrible disease. It was so touching to see her love for her father. At one point she began talking about what her Dad would tell her anytime she was struggling. He would tell her to be "Kelly Tough". When she heard this, she knew she could give it her best fight.

My wheels immediately start churning and I turned to Cody and asked if we could start using, "Hall strong". He one upped me and replied, "We should use Hayes tough". My heart melted. It was beautiful and it just fits. Hayes is the toughest little man that we know. He never stopped fighting. There was no fear in his beautiful little blue eyes. I imagine the word quit would have never been in his vocabulary. 

Hayes tough. What a beautiful family motto. Any time I might be struggling or having a bad day, I'll remind myself to be Hayes tough. We may have borrowed it from the Kelly family, but the sentiment holds the same truth. We all have to be tough and get back up if we get knocked down. I know this is what our little boy would want us to do. Be Hayes tough.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! What a wonderful motto to live by! Hayes continues to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So inspirational and outgoing I love reading this -Ashtyn A������

    ReplyDelete
  3. So inspirational and outgoing I love reading this -Ashtyn A������

    ReplyDelete